A devastated mum is demanding a footballer be jailed after he slipped a super-strength ecstasy tablet into her 14-year-old daughter’s mouth as they kissed.
The mum described the horrific scenes that unfolded after Stefan MacRitchie put her through the harrowing ordeal.
MacRitchie, of Iverness, recently signed for Strathspey Thistle. He previously played for Fort William.
She added: “My daughter was throwing herself off the bed, banging her head off it, crawling on the floor.
“It was like something out of the horror movie The Exorcist. She was black and blue.We were holding her, trying to keep her safe, but she was hallucinating, thinking things were coming out of the walls to get her.I was trying to comfort her but she was lashing out, although every now and then she’d come out of it and say, ‘Mum, mum, help me, help me, stop this, stop this’.
“Her face was so swollen, she looked as if she’d been in a car crash.”
Doctors had to put the girl into an induced coma after Highland League player MacRitchie slipped her the “Nintendo” pill at a New Year party, reports the Daily Record.
Her mum said she was given just a 50-50 chance of survival.
Last week, MacRitchie, 20, admitted supplying the class A drug on January 1, 2014. He will be sentenced later this month.
Prosecutor Michelle Molley told Inverness Sheriff Court that the teenager and MacRitchie got together at a house party in the city to bring in the New Year.
The adult householders were present but the majority of the party guests were under 18 and knew each other from school. Alcohol was openly drunk by the teenagers.
The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, arrived about 8pm with a friend.
Molley said: “She and the accused met and began kissing.
“During the kiss, the accused passed one item from inside his mouth into her mouth.The complainer swallowed the item. The complainer asked the accused what he had put into her mouth and he replied, ‘eccies’.”
The victim broke away from MacRitchie and sought help from her friends.
Her parents had been at Hogmanay celebrations in Aviemore when it happened.
The mum said: “Around 1am, we were just heading back into Inverness when I got a call to say my daughter was in an ambulance on her way to Raigmore Hospital and that she’d taken ecstasy.
“As we pulled up in front of A&E, her ambulance drew up. The back doors opened and I was just shocked by what I saw - it wasn’t like my daughter.
“She was shouting, ‘Mum, mum’. She’d been biting her mouth. It was horrendous – her mouth was bleeding.
“She’d been pulling her bottom lip into her top teeth and her lip was swelling up.
“Because they didn’t know what she’d ingested, they couldn’t treat her to begin with and they put us into a room in A&E. We removed the bed for her own safety.
“I phoned the party and asked if anyone could tell me what she’d taken.
“They were called Nintendos. The tablets were different colours. A friend said she’d gone into the bathroom with Stefan and she came out in a terrible state.”
In the hospital, the girl’s dad had to wrap his legs around his daughter on the floor to try to keep her under control.
The mum said: “She kept freaking out, thinking spiders were crawling all over her. It was horrible.
“They took her to a resuscitation room to try to sedate her. They were having to hold her down. Her heartbeat was going off the scale.They decided to give her another injection and that didn’t work. By this time, it was 4.30am and her brain was showing signs of swelling. The only option was to put her into a coma. We asked what her chances were and they told us 50-50 and that when they did wake her up, there was a chance of brain damage.
“She was put in a coma around 5am and taken off it around 3pm, but kept in intensive care until 9pm.
“In the afternoon, they took her off the ventilator and she was able to breathe on her own but she was still hallucinating.She was kept in hospital for a further four nights, receiving intravenous treatment twice daily to counteract the cocktail of drugs in the ecstasy.
“Later, she took quite a bit of time off school. She was embarrassed – everybody was talking about it.
“She failed to sit her exams. She’d always been a top student. Her teachers were quite shocked at the change in her.She stopped socialising. She’s stopped going to her receptionist’s job after bumping into Stefan. People who say he didn’t mean any harm don’t know the effect it’s had on her. She was confident and outgoing and had loads of friends.
“Obviously, we want a custodial sentence.
Super-strong ecstasy pills were cynically branded Nintendos to appeal to young people.
The pills, imprinted with the game giants’ logo, emerged in Belgium and became popular in the club scene across Europe.
There have also been warnings about fake Nintendos that contain lethal chemicals.