Stella Dimoko Fire Destroys Over 200 Stores In Benin


Advertisement - Mobile In-Article

Friday, February 02, 2018

Fire Destroys Over 200 Stores In Benin

An early morning fire that engulfed Jos Adun market, popularly known as Kara market, in Benin, Edo State, on Thursday, destroyed goods worth hundreds of millions of naira in about 200 lock-up stores.

It was gathered that the market which is located at Aduwawa, Ipoba-Okha local government of the State, is mostly populated by Hausas who sell clothes, provisions, food stuff, shoes, among others.

It was further gathered that the fire which emanated from an electrical fault in one of the the restaurants at about 9 am, also consumed other restaurants and living rooms.

One of the lucky traders whose shops were not affected by the fire, Abubakar Abdullahi, confirmed that the fire started at about 9 am from one of the restaurants in the market.

“I was outside when I heard people shouting fire and when I rushed​ to my shop, the fire has already engulfed most of the shops inside the market. So we started parking out belongings but I thank God that it didn’t reach my shop,” he narrated, adding that about 30 minutes after, fire fighters​ came to their rescue, but that goods worth millions of naira had been destroyed.

Abubakar said this is the third fire incident in the market since 2016.

Also speaking Muhammed Ali, whose provisions shop was razed down, said he lost goods worth over N1 million to the inferno.

Muhammed who has four children and two wives said he is confused and doesn’t know where to go or start from.

“I have lost everything that I have to the fire. I was not able to save anything, as you can see everything was burnt. I don’t know where to go from here,” he said.

Another victim, Ali Kwara, a meat seller, whose living room was affected​, said he lost money and other properties to the fire.

“I don’t have a shop there but a room where I sleep. I was at the market selling meat when they called me that the place was on fire and when I arrived my house, money and properties were gone

“This clothe I am putting on now is all that I have now. We lost over N10 million here. One person lost N700,000 and many other people also lost cash more than that and I am not even talking about the goods,” he said.

Ali Kwara appealed to the government to come to their aid as they have lost everything they have to the fire.
From premiumtimes


  1. hmmmmmm may God comfort all.

    I hope it is not what i am thinking. May God clear foolish thoughts from me Amen

    1. What are you thinking olodo rabata!

    2. Amen, lol!

      Definitely not what you are thinking. They are the only ones in that market and they even live and sleep there. Hence the careless fires every now and then. They also smoke a lot and you know how many fires have been caused by carelessly disposed cigarettes during dry season.

      But why keep so much money at home/ market? I hope they learn from this.

      Gov Obaseki, over to you. That market needed rebuilding even before this sad incidence

  2. OMG! This is terrible. What a disaster!

  3. This is so sad , May help locate everyone involved in Jesus name..

  4. May God help them. May God help Nigerians.
    A government that collects taxes and levies from traders but cannot provide and maintain fire codes and regulations. There should be a fire station at every major market in Nigeria.

  5. Really sad.. I hope Edo state government will do something and compensate them.

  6. May God help them. But over 10million na serious fabufabu.

    Why keep 700k cash in your shop?

  7. Oh dear may God comfort you al. U re in my prayers. Really sad.


Disclaimer: Comments And Opinions On Any Part Of This Website Are Opinions Of The Blog Commenters Or Anonymous Persons And They Do Not Represent The Opinion Of

Pictures and culled stories posted on this site are given credit and if a story is yours but credited to the wrong source,Please contact and corrections will be made..

If you have a complaint or a story,Please Contact Via
Mobile Phone +4915210329280