Stella Dimoko Korkus.com: Nigerian Military Jet 'Mistakenly Bombs Refugee Camp',Killing More Than 100 Including 20 Red Cross Volunteers

Advertisement

Advertisement - Mobile In-Article

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Nigerian Military Jet 'Mistakenly Bombs Refugee Camp',Killing More Than 100 Including 20 Red Cross Volunteers

Nigerian Air Force fighter jet on a mission against Boko Haram extremists mistakenly bombed a refugee camp Tuesday, killing more than 100 refugees and wounding aid workers, a Borno state official said.


Major General Lucky Irabor, who ordered the mission
CREDIT: REUTERS/AFOLABI SOTUNDE

A Red Cross worker said 20 volunteers with the aid group had been killed.

The state government official, who was helping to coordinate the evacuation of wounded from the remote area by helicopters, spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to reporters.

Military commander Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor confirmed the accidental bombardment in northeast Rann, near the border with Cameroon.

This is believed to be the first time Nigeria's military has admitted to making such a mistake.


Among the wounded were two soldiers and Nigerians working for Doctors Without Borders and the International Committee of the Red Cross, Irabor said.

An ICRC employee told the AP that 20 Red Cross volunteers were among the dead. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not supposed to give information to reporters.

Doctors Without Borders said its team based in Rann had counted 50 bodies and treated 120 wounded.

A statement from spokesman Etienne l'Hermitte urged authorities to facilitate land and air evacuations, saying, "Our medical and surgical teams in Cameroon and Chad are ready to treat wounded patients.

We are in close contact with our teams, who are in shock following the event."

Irabor said he ordered the mission based on information that Boko Haram insurgents were gathering, along with geographic coordinates. It was too early to say if a tactical error was made, he said.

The general, who is the theater commander for counterinsurgency operations in northeast Nigeria, said the Air Force would not deliberately target civilians but there will be an investigation.

Villagers in the past have reported some civilian casualties in near-daily bombardments in northeastern Nigeria.

Some of the nearly 300 Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014 and freed last year have said three of their classmates were killed by Air Force bombardments, according to the freed girls' parents.

from telegraph.co.uk

45 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Bullshit. Such mistakes. This is no mistake. I hope the relevant international bodies look into this.

      Delete
  2. Huh?
    What were they thinking? Adonbelivit!
    RIP to the dead

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad. Mistakes happen even in developed countries, but someone's head has to be on the chopping block. RIP to the dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sad...

      *Paul planted, Appollos watered BUT #God GAVE the increase! *

      Delete
  4. OMG!
    Chai! What a fate!

    Some costly mistakes make u want to ask "How? Why?
    May God rest their souls. And comfort the bereaved. And heal the wounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a costly mistake. This is so sad

      Delete
  5. That's the kind of drama that one see in a zoo(Nigeria) with a fulani cow as president.

    May their soul RIP.

    Give us or Biafra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haba Buhari, even as IDP's u still want to kill them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do a whole military jet mistakenly bomb citizens and red cross workers....for crying out loud this is unheard of,where they not briefed before the mission,wasn't a tactical evaluation carried out or even geographical citing on the proposed target that would have prevented such a mistake,even I know this so how do our own military with all their training make such mistake when not even one insurgent was killed from the casualties recorded...this is just sad and embarrassing,am sure boko haram will be laughing or celebrating because our own military have started doing their work for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. US bombed a paediatric hospital filled with women n children in Syria if I'm correct, by mistake! So it happens.

      Delete
    2. Dondi!!!saying so it happens na better thing??

      Delete
    3. Who hacked into the millitary's system? i smell fish

      Delete
  8. NaWAoh..what kind of sad news is this eh?? This is the height of recklessness

    ReplyDelete
  9. If there were civilian casualties of between 1 and 10, we could say it was unavoidable but to have casualties of almost 100, someone has to pay for this. This shows gross incompetence. I have never heard about such in Nigeria. Buhari with his badluck came and brought with him every bad thing that could possibly happen in a country.

    RIP to the dead and if someone doesn't pay for this, I'd just conclude this is that blood sucker's aim all along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What sort of silly mistake was that? So sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for a successful surgery Oluyomi, speedy recovery.

      Delete
  11. OMG!...
    Vuharia and his military workers are bunch of clueless dullards!...
    See how human lives are been wasted like chicken!...
    Shame!!!...
    The blood of the innocent killed under this Vuharia APC scam regime will continue to torment this government!...
    RIP to the dead!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nne you really need to go back to school,your English is horrible.

      Delete
    2. Leave my queen alone.Ewu!

      Delete
    3. Quee 👑 u will live long instead of them to send them home cos they can't Feed them anymore they decide to kill them claiming mistake. God will never have mercy on buhari & his family &generation. Wicked jihad Fulani herdsmen idiot president.

      Delete
  12. It was a painful incident. RIP to the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fatal error, d bomb dropped by mistake or what? Just like d malay jet dat was shot down and d govt covered it up till today, no trace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is just a sad day for all. May God comfort all.

    How i wish it is those idiots they bombed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What manner of fuckery is this? Nigeria is a Joke mehn 💔👎

    ReplyDelete
  16. What silly excuse,killing displaced people that very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In developed countries the heads would painfully resign for these costly mistakes n govt would pay heavily on compensation but nig would tell u sorry it won't happen again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irabor for don resign since yesterday night.

      Delete
  18. What a tragedy! May the Lord console those affected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So it's even possible that they may have even killed the Chibok girls without knowing na.
    Nigerian military. Going from celebrating defeat over boko haram to making such an inexcusable mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A mistake that claimed about a 100lives.. I don't understand that kind of mistake! what a tragedy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh nooooo, what an error, such mistakes should not be tolerated.
    May they RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an expensive mistake, someone needs to be punished. "I'm sorry" it's not gonna help in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a painful incident. Rip to the dead

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nigeria is about 923,768 square kilometres and you accidentally bomb a camp which you the military created. The NAF should be accidentally dealt with

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is our military now working for Boko Haram

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is no mistake. It was planned, I wonder what they hope to achieve by this other than the death of innocent civilians. Even if it was an accident, the culprits should still be charged with manslaughter. If you mistakenly run your vehicle into someone and the person die, you will be prosecuted for manslaughter, this should not be different. What is the government doing about it? It is pathetic we have to wait till 2019 to correct our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This administration is just blood thirsty, are they not satisfied already? That was how some christian youths guarding their church in southern Kaduna were killed on Sunday by soldiers. Book haram has infiltrated the army. Shame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Why didn't they mistakenly bomb Sambisa when they had the chance, now those terrorists are everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  29. Zadok the High Priest18 January 2017 at 11:17

    As an aid worker, presently in Maiduguri, I would have given more details but Stella rarely approves my comment so I cannot give you all any details.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are just sacrificing people anyhow, God will judge Vuharia and his agents.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: Comments And Opinions On Any Part Of This Website Are Opinions Of The Writers Or Anonymous Persons And They Do Not Represent The Opinions Of StellaDimokoKorkus.com

Pictures and culled stories posted on this site will be given due credit and is not the fault of StellaDimokoKorkus.com if website culled from misrepresents source of story.

If you have a complaint or a story,Please Contact StellaDimokoKorkus.com Via

Sdimokokorkus@gmail.com
Mobile Phone +4915210329280