Stella Dimoko Korkus.com: FG Insists On Regulating Social Media After CNN Report On Lekki Shootings

Advertisement

Advertisement - Mobile In-Article

Thursday, November 19, 2020

FG Insists On Regulating Social Media After CNN Report On Lekki Shootings


The federal government of Nigeria has insisted that it is proceeding with plans to regulate the social media in the country so as to curb the spread of fake news.







This was disclosed on Thursday by the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed during a televised live press briefing from Abuja where he spoke about the CNN report of the Lekki tollgate incident during the #EndSARS protest in October.

He labelled the CNN report as ‘irresponsible journalism’ and called for a sanction on the international media outfit.


The Minister who insisted that no massacre occurred during the clash between security operatives and the protesters at the Lekki tollgate said what is being portrayed so far was a “social media massacre” or a “hoax massacre.”

He added that the public has been misled by unverified and doctored videos on the social media, hence strengthening the government’s resolve to regulate the social media space in Nigeria.

Speaking on the federal government’s position, the Minister disclosed that “This development has reinforced the campaign against fake news and disinformation, which we launched in 2018. As a matter of fact, as far back as 2017, when we dedicated that year’s National Council on Information to the issue of fake news and disinformation, we had been expressing concerns on the dangers posed by irresponsible use of the new media platform. “The concerns culminated in the launch of the national campaign which I referred to earlier.



” The social media was used to guide arsonists and looters to certain properties, both public and private. Pictures of persons, including some celebrities, who were supposedly killed at the Lekki Toll Gate by soldiers, were circulated widely, only for those persons to refute such claims or for the discerning to disprove such posts. As we have said many times, no responsible government will stand by and allow such abuse of social media to continue.

“The fake news/disinformation purveyors have latched on to our concerns to allege that the Federal Government is planning to shut down social media. No, we have no plans to shut down the social media.

” What we have always advocated, and what we will do, is to regulate the social media. Nigeria is not alone in this regard. The issue of social media regulation is an ongoing debate not just in Nigeria but around the world, including in the United States, which is the flag flyer of constitutional democracy. Even the owners of the various social media platforms, including Facebook, are increasingly joining the call for content regulation.



“Some respected opinion leaders have been playing to the gallery on the issue of social media regulation by making inciting and incendiary statements, while some other individuals and groups have been threatening fire and brimstone over the issue of social media regulation.

“What they have failed to understand is that the only reason we are even able to have this debate is because we have a country.

” If we allow the abuse of social media to precipitate uncontrolled internecine violence, the kind of which was narrowly averted during the EndSARS crisis, no one will remember or be able to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, for whatever purpose.

” It is incumbent upon us all, therefore, to strike a balance between free speech – which this Administration is committed to upholding – and fake news/disinformation, which it is determined to fight.”

from naijanews

22 comments:

  1. As per south or North Korea? Una never see something. The same social media that was a 'very' tool against PDP now has to have limit abi? Useless old fools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't even know what's coming,they ain't ready. Social media regulation my foot!!!

      Delete
    2. Liz I thought you always supported this government. I didn't forget oo. Well we are in this together. Wahala

      Delete
    3. Stella I saw what you did to that liar's face.hahahaha hah

      Delete
  2. The only advice I have now. Work to get some money and relocate out of this country with your family. No hope here. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctored videos? Are you freaking kidding me. Just stuff your cap in your mouth to stop you from spewing trash. So where did DJ Switch get the bullets?. The video that showed her removing a bullet from a guys leg is also doctored ba. May all the plagues in the Bible befall you and your generation. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nigeria is looking very hopeless with these set of power hungry politicians or how can anyone in the right frame of mind and with a conscience come on national tv to lie like this?it irks me mehn.God have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lai Mohammed, you deserve nothing but death. MAY the evil that this evil government denied its citizens be your potion to your 10th generation. May your sorrow visit you all the days of your remaining miserable life. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  6. God help us in this country!!! How do these people sleep at night???? Tufia

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Nigerian govt continues to suppress and oppress average citizens with every chance they get.They make sure the north is not educated,make sure the south has no access and control of their resources,they limit the amount of southerners that get into high ranking military positions,use police to oppress the south and now they are trying to make sure people don’t air their grievances on social media.All these are calculated efforts to continue their reign of terror,impunity,corruption and unaccountability.The future of Nigeria is very bleak as long as we have these set of power hungry politicians at the helm.There needs to be a revolution but it can’t be achieved by the south alone,the north needs to wake up.The richest and poorest Nigerians are from the north,that should tell you something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have agreed with you less! Your first paragraph is very true..It started from Lord Lugard he never wanted the North to be educated and that is why he disliked the south most especially Lagos cause they were so progressive and enlightened during the colonial times...These evil people are walking on the footprints left by the British masters more than 200 years ago...

      Delete
  8. Let them regulate it, we will still be using our phones to send videos of their wickedness to CNN, lobatan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what happens when you appoint old and uninformed people to Government office. Can you imagine talking about Social Media regulation in the 21st Century. How dare he say the Videos were doctored? Hasn’t he heard of Satellite Camera??? The truth is that the Government was highly embarrassed by the CNN report with the evidence shown. The truth is the FG is that the Government of APC and Lagos State bungled the Protest of the Youths. It was badly handled and they told lies upon lies to cover up. Shame!!! Youths please GO and get your PVC. 2023 here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. God will punish this useless old men

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lie Mohammed, may the wrath of God fall on u and ur entire generation. U call evil good, may anything called good never come near ur generation. You shall be forgotten forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nigeria under successive useless governments is a joke.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: Comments And Opinions On Any Part Of This Website Are Opinions Of The Blog Commenters Or Anonymous Persons And They Do Not Represent The Opinion Of StellaDimokoKorkus.com

Pictures and culled stories posted on this site are given credit and if a story is yours but credited to the wrong source,Please contact Stelladimokokorkus.com and corrections will be made..

If you have a complaint or a story,Please Contact StellaDimokoKorkus.com Via

Sdimokokorkus@gmail.com
Mobile Phone +4915210724141